Friday, March 30, 2012

Joy 1

This Sunday I am teaching Women's Sunday School again and am extremely excited about the topic on my heart - JOY! Lately I have been teaching about how our enemy works, that he is real, that he is realllllly good at his job and that he is powerful. I have been seeing things happen in our world as well as in our little community that seem completely void of joy and wondered what to do about it. Pray was my first inclination. Search the scriptures was my second. Upon searching God's word for encouragement this came to my mind (sort of an intro for my lesson)...

Finding joy during a tremendously challenging time can seem daunting, impossible, or even ridiculous. How can we be joyful at the same time we are sad, or sorrowful, or angry, or frightened, or lost? When the enemy is at his best we find ourselves lacking in the "Joy Department," so what is a little Christian woman to do? What kind of "Joy Reminders" can we hold in our hearts and minds to continually deny the enemy his goal on even the worst of days?
  • Be the subject of others' prayers. We have to ask for help in the form of prayer from our sisters in Christ. Community is neccessary.
  • Memorize "joy" scriptures. Sticky notes on the bathroom mirror, kitchen window, front door, rear view mirror, or forehead :)
  • Remember God's promises. Jesus promised to come back! We have victory is Jesus through the Cross and His resurrection.
  • God is merciful and full of grace.
  • Wise women seek further wisdom and Godly wisdom produces joy automatically.
  • Joy is a fruit of the Spirit.

I have several sticky notes all over my NLT Study Bible. This particular Bible hasn't been my favorite of late and I now think it is because it illicits STUDY. Novel idea :)

More to come. I have studying to do.

Blessings....

No comments: